Diversity and inclusion efforts that really work:
1. Set goals, collect data, and examine change over time and in comparison to other organizations.
2. Deploy alternative complaint systems to reduce retaliation.
3. Technologies that get deployed for corporate screening, hiring, and evaluation processes have to be built on data that is fair to socio-demographic group.
4. Increase the representation of particular groups, and provide more visibility through presentations internally and at conferences.
5. Involve managers in the design process. This increases buy-in and smooth implementation, making interventions more sustainable and long-lasting.