“We all require and want respect; man or woman, black or white. It’s our basic human right.”
- Aretha Franklin
When disrespected, employees are less creative, more likely to quit their jobs and decrease their
performance. Incivility also damages customer relationships.
Strategies to increase civility:
1. Model appropriate behavior.
2. Take complaints of incivility seriously.
3. Reward good behavior.
4. Create a list of norms of civility for your team.
5. Offer classes on civility to reduce brashness.
6. Add civility as part of your hiring process.