“Making great hires is about recognizing great matches— and often they’re not what you’d expect.”
- Patty McCord
A great hire can bring new skills, experience, inspiration to help your organization achieve growth.
Creative ways to hire for fit:
1. Ask questions that illuminate values –
• What are the one or two traits from your parent(s) that you most want to ensure you (if applicable: and your kids) have for the rest of your life?
• Tell me about three people whose lives you positively changed. What would they say if I called them tomorrow?
• After an interview, ask security or the receptionist: “How was the candidate’s interaction with you?”
2. Hire for the problem not necessarily personality – “Sometimes you find that people who aren’t like you fit just fine because they’re really good at stuff that you’re not really good at doing”
3. Play a collaborative game - This will give you a glimpse of how they will interact with their prospective colleagues on a day-to-day basis.