Ways to build a healthy work relationship with your employees:
1. Impact doesn’t always match intention - Be aware of your employees' point of view.
2. Ask probing questions when things feel off - I get the sense something is bothering you. Is it anything I’ve done?”
3. Gain a holistic picture of your coworker relationship by asking these questions:
• How would an objective outsider narrate the story of your work relationship? What are its merits and challenges?
• How would an outsider describe your role in the situation? Is your behavior bringing you closer to your colleague or pushing the colleague away?
• What advice would you give someone else in your situation? Are there specific moves you would recommend or advise against?
4. Remember the effects of “bad” interactions far outweigh those of “good” interactions.