The Hierarchy of Purpose:
• Purpose. What is the purpose of the organization and how is that purpose best pursued? What is the strategic vision supporting this purpose?
• Priorities. Given the stated purpose and vision, what matters most to the organization now and in the future?
• Projects. Based on the answers to the first two points, which projects are the most strategic and should be resourced to the hilt? Which projects align with the purpose, vision, and priorities, and which should be stopped or scrapped?
• People. Now that there is clarity around the strategic priorities and the projects that matter most, who are the best people to execute on those projects?
• Performance. What are the precise outcome-related targets that will measure real performance and value creation? Reduce your attention to inputs and focus on those instead.